04 January 2011

WAKEBOARDING IN DAVAO CITY

Wakeboarding on a man-made water arena completed my fun-filled Christmas vacation this year. It was the cherry-on-top of all my year-end activities, beating going to the beach with the rest of our neighbourhood or fishing for the first time. It happened in DECA WAKEBOARD PARK, a still being developed tourist spot in Mintal, Davao City. Holding onto the cable handles while keeping the correct composure was a tiresome yet exhilarating experience for me. And for the record, wakeboarding was the most fun extreme activity I've ever done.

Only it didn't happen.

Much to my disappointment, my high school batchmates scheduled our wakeboarding activity on the New Year's Eve. The exact same day when everybody rushes last minute shopping, preparing the Media Noche, entertaining relatives and other guests, or taking a rest in preparation for the loooong night. It was in our high school mini-reunion, a couple of days earlier, that we discussed about wakeboarding. And since I am too disappointed at this point, especially now that I have seen their pictures, I will not talk about wakeboarding any further. I will however talk about my mini-tour to Davao City on the 28th to meet my high school batchmates for a mini-reunion.


My first stop in the city was at Gaisano Mall. It was my favorite mall in Davao City. In high school, it was my place to be. Maybe because of its architecture, type of shops, and the vast strip of arcade games. The last one is a personal particular as I am quite choosy with arcade games. I only play Darkstalkers, King of Fighters, Puzzle Bobble, or that generic jet game with the aerial view. If any of these is present in an arcade, then you can expect me to hangout in that place very often. Sad to say, when I checked, the arcade place in Gaisano mall was moved to a smaller area and my favorite games were gone.

To compensate for my grieving, I decided to devour on something really really good. So I insisted my friend Jed to dine with me at Dimsum Diner. He gladly agreed even though he had dined at the same place just the previous night. Yes people, the dumplings were that good.


 
Yummy crab, beef, and shark's fin dumplings
DIMSUM DINER serves the best dumplings that ever grazed my palate, and I know that most of those who have dined here would agree. Too bad they don't have a franchise here in Manila. Do they? Please let me know if they do!

Before I went to our batch rendezvous, Jed and I went to DAVAO MEDICAL CENTER (now renamed to Southern Philippines Medical Center) to visit my bestfriend Sybil. She was not available for the reunion as she was on duty in the ER that night. Luckily, three other batchmates who were equally disappointed as Sybil, was also on duty. So I had a pre-reunion with them right there in the ER. I get to chat a little with Carl Uy and Marian, but not with Reginald as he was busy stitching a patient.

Sybil and me

 
Marian (L) and Sybil (R)
I was so proud seeing them in their scrubs. I felt a little disappointed as well, or maybe envious, as I could have been there with them doing some stitches. You see, in most of my high school years I was very sure I'll take up Biology in college. Yet I had a change of mind weeks before I filled out my application form for UP. (sigh). Oh well, I'm very happy with my current industry anyways so I'll just drop that thought.

Our next stop was at C-TRES, an all-you-can-eat buffet at Obrero Street. My batchmates have already started their meals when we arrived. Although I've never heard of this resto before, I sure will promote it as they serve scrumptious dishes. My favorite was the Fish Fillet, it was awesome.

I call this the dish pit. This is where people line up to get food.
Funky crabs. I forgot to ask if these were unlimited as well, as these weren't included in the pit.

(L-R) JC, Lesele, Martin, Aldbrian, Nina, Nikko, Ruel, Ephraim, Ian, Adrian, Carlo, Luningning
After dinner, these guys wanted to hit the karaoke so we went to BLUE POST. Too bad, the karaoke wasn't available. So we moved to CASA DE AMIGOS, a pub-ish sort of place right at the heart of the city. I like the way the place was laidback. There was a live band, there were billiard tables, and there were private karaoke rooms. And just when I thought things couldn’t get better, boy check out the menu. No, look at the right side. Yeah, baby! The cocktail drinks are waaaay cheaper. Woohoo! Had I been working in Davao, I would surely frequent at this place.

Before we called the night off, we went someplace else. Ooops. I meant, we went to SOME PLACE ELSE, a shisha bar and restaurant at Paseo de Habana. I had another round of not-so-pricey cocktails, and this place here has a lengthy cocktail menu my ears couldn’t stop flapping. And although I do not smoke, I didn’t pass up the chance to puff a shisha. If you are wondering what a shisha is, it is a pipe Egyptian in origin that allows the user to puff flavoured nicotine-free smoke. Ergo, shisha = smoking – health risk. Hmm... wait. Afaik, it’s nicotine-free. I’ll double-check on that.

We at the shisha bar. Shisha (center)
Whew! It was a long night. And although I wasn’t able to try wakeboarding, I care less. I had fun. And I can say that my Christmas vacation was complete.

---------------------

EDIT (10/13/11): For those who are curious about the REAL wakeboarding experience in Davao, READ HERE



1 comments:

Giovanni Carlo said...

good old days, I want to go back to Davao after Covid
davao doctors hospital directory

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger